Community Benefits for Aboriginal People
The provision and management of community benefit schemes
Objective 10: Provide opportunities and services that strengthen and support individuals and families, including in relation to their Aboriginality.
- See Objectives and strategies for Aboriginal Culture and Heritage.
Objective 11: Develop the understanding of the needs of the community.
- Use meetings and events to sound out Deerubbin members and others in the community about their needs and priorities.
Objective 12: Ensure Aboriginal people have access to decent and affordable housing.
- Continue the existing social housing program.
Objective 13: improve awareness amongst Aboriginal people in Deerubbin’s area of strategies for overcoming poverty.
- Offer members and other Aboriginal people in Deerubbin’s area courses on poverty alleviations strategies, such as Bridges out of Poverty.
Objective 14: Develop a funeral program, including a cemetery and associated facilities to ensure dignified, culturally sensitive and affordable funerals for Aboriginal people in Deerubbin’s area in a place where families can continue to gather in commemoration.
- Develop a cemetery together with cremation and undertaking services on a site to be identified and owned by Deerubbin.
Objective 15: Support the improvement of education and training opportunities and outcomes for Aboriginal people in Deerubbin’s area.
- Develop a scholarship fund to support primary, secondary and tertiary students.
Objective 16: Improve employment opportunities and outcomes for Aboriginal people in Deerubbin’s area
- Continue and extend the existing partnership with TAFE to provide specially tailored courses to Aboriginal apprentices and trainees, including in the areas of land management, horticulture, arboreal care and regeneration.
Objective 17: Employ an Education and Employment Coordinator to support Deerubbin’s education and employment objectives.
- Employ an Education and Employment Coordinator to assist Deerubbin in the implementation of its education and employment objectives.
Objective 18: Provide opportunities to Aboriginal people in Deerubbin’s area to develop and showcase sporting and artistic excellence.
- See Objective ,  and 
Objective 19: Assist other organisations improve the health of Aboriginal people.
- Consult with the major organisations providing health services to Aboriginal people in Deerubbin’s area to discuss how Deerubbin may be able to assist them in their health objectives, including through the use of Deerubbin’s facilities and communication platforms.
Objective 20: Support inmates and released prisoners in their rehabilitation.
- Work with the ALS, Corrective Services, Probation and Parole and organisations such as Marrin Weejali to develop a plan as to how Deerubbin can best assist in the rehabilitation of current and former inmates, including through work experience, State debt recovery internships and other training opportunities.
Objective 21: Develop other plans for other community benefit schemes.
- In light of the outcomes from Objective [ ] and the implementation of the other community benefit schemes proposed in this plan, develop additional schemes that address critical needs in the community where those schemes can be implemented without significantly detracting from the schemes already covered by the plan.