Aboriginal Culture & Heritage
Objective 1: Strengthen and support Aboriginal people to grow in their Aboriginality, including by deepening our understanding of our culture and traditions, our history and our ways of living.
- Provide opportunities and places for families to come together, including:
- Securing a hall or facility to be available for use by members or Aboriginal organisations for community purposes.
- Conducting excursions and camps for the community where the focus is on cultural immersion and sharing; e.g. father/ sons; mother/daughters.
- Providing cultural learning opportunities through visits to sites and special places.
- Appointing a Family and Community Coordinator to organise community events including community dinners and barbeques; karaoke and movie nights, excursions, sports days etc. [see objective 8]
- Hiring or acquiring a bus for Deerubbin community event purposes.
- Commencing the design, planning and development of a multi-purpose community facility.
Objective 2: Improve the understanding and recognition of Aboriginality amongst non-Aboriginal people.
- Invite non-Aboriginal groups to participate in community events and activities.
Objective 3: Develop a communication strategy and capability that addresses both the internal and external communication needs of Deerubbin.
- Develop a communications strategy and capability for reaching members and the Aboriginal community of Western Sydney and the Blue Mountains around social media platforms that enable Deerubbin to:
- Keep members and the community updated on land council events, policies and news.
- Build community cohesion and pride by the form and content of the information presented.
- Give members a means of raising issues and ideas that contribute to the positive development of the community.
- Provide information and news about other, non-land council matters relevant to the members and the Aboriginal community of Western Sydney.
Objective 6: Continue existing Aboriginal cultural heritage operations.
- Continue to employ site officers to identify, monitor and advise on Aboriginal cultural heritage within Deerubbin’s area.
Objective 7: Promote local Aboriginal cultural organisations.
- Use the website to promote the existence and services of Aboriginal arts and cultural groups to the public.
Objective 8: Employ a Family and Community Coordinator to promote community cohesion and interaction.
- Employ a Family and Community Coordinator whose principal functions is to support the land council in building community spirit, cohesion and confidence within the Aboriginal community of Western Sydney and the Blue Mountains.
Objective 9: Support the centrality of the funeral as a fundamental Aboriginal rite of passage.
- See Objective  of the Community Benefits objectives.